DeForest Area Fire & EMS Special Dates

Officially established in 1911

  •  1908 – A bucket brigade was formed in DeForest
  •  February 13, 1911 – DeForest Fire Department was formed by 11 men and Tom Farness was elected the first Chief
  •  October 1911 – Dyson Bennet made the first fire wagon to carry hose and buckets for $40
  •  September 1912 – A new fire station was built and the fire bell was mounted in front of the station, totaling $110.
  •  1923 – The fire department became more organized and regular meetings and drills were held.
  •  1925 – Regular fire inspections were made on area homes and businesses.
  •  March 1925 – Arlington fire department donated $200 to have a wagon mounted with chemicals to serve rural areas such as Arlington
  •  1928 – The fire department acquired its first motorized fire truck.
  •  September 11, 1931 – The fire department decides to buy Fireman’s Park for $800.
  •  1932 – The fire department acquired its second motorized fire truck, a 1932 Chevy / Pirsch engine. This truck was purchased by Windsor and Vienna so they could get fire service from DeForest.
  •  February 1932 – A park committee is formed and firefighters donated their time to work on the landscaping at Fireman’s Park. All of the trees were specifically selected by the committee.
  •  August 4, 1932 – The DeForest Fire Department decides they will charge $25 for responding to calls outside of the district.
  •  December 1, 1932 – The fire department asked the village board for steel helmets, rain coats and rubber boots to outfit firefighters.
  •  1938 – The fire department responds to 11 fire calls throughout the year
  •  November 3, 1949 – Plans for “fighting fires before they happen” were put into place. This was the start of Fire Prevention in DeForest.
  •  1950 – A third motorized truck, a Chevy / Seagrave Pumper is added to the fleet along with uniforms for the men, smoke masks and a resuscitator.
  •  1950 – There are 38 firefighters on the department
  •  1961 – Fire phones replaced the fire bell (Someone would call the switchboard operator to report a fire and she would ring the 10 fire phones throughout the district and sound the fire whistle)
  •  1963 – The fire department responded to 50 fire calls
  •  April 1, 1963 – Construction of the new station around the old station began. Members of the fire department donated their time to help with the construction. The fire bell was moved to the top of the building
  •  1966 – The fire department acquires an IHC / Pirsch fire engine
  •  1967 – A Chevy panel truck is purchased and equipped with a resuscitator and an indurstrial type first aid kit to respond to “rescue” calls to stabilize patients before Dane County Traffic Department’s station wagon ambulance could make it to the trip
  •  1969 – The department buys a 1965 Ford / 1969 Progress Tanker (to shuttle more water to a fire scene)
  •  1971 – A Ford / Gmeinder Brush truck is purchased to respond to wildland fires
  •  June 1973 – Two men enroll in EMT class
  •  May 1974 – Department members participated in discussions with Dane County to request an ambulance service in DeForest. The bard denied the request stating that there were ambulances in Sun Prairie and Waunakee to respond for our district. DeForest members disagreed with the board and began plans to buy an ambulance. Jim Ford was the first EMS Director
  •  October 17, 1974 – The 1974 Dodge / Starline Ambulance was delivered to the department and two hours later responded to their first ambulance call.
  •  1975 – A IHC / Pirsch Engine was purchased by the fire department
  •  1975 – The department responded to 152 ambulance calls that year
  •  January 1978 – The first Hurst “Jaws of Life” rescue tool was purchased to replace the hydraulic porta-power.
  •  December 1978 – The department acquired a Dodge / Wayne Ambulance and DeForest became part of Dane County EMS
  •  June 1980 – DeForest began being dispatched by the Dane County Communications Center
  •  1982 – Due to an increasing number of rural fires, the department purchased a GMC / Welch Tanker
  •  July 1983 – The department bought a Ford / Mobile Medical ambulance and sold the 1974 Dodge / Starline Ambulance
  •  1984 – The department responded to 329 ambulance calls and 74 fire calls
  •  1987 – A GMC / Welch Rescue Squad was purchased to respond to vehicle accidents
  •  October 4, 1987 – The fire department held its first open house for the public to look at apparatus and watch various demonstrations
  •  1989 – A GMC / Welch Tanker and a 1989 Chevy / 1971 Gmeinder Brush truck were added to the fire department’s fleet of apparatus
  •  1991 – The department responds to 428 ambulance calls
  •  1993 – A Pierce Lance fire engine is purchased
  •  1994 – A Ford / MedTec Ambulance is purchased
  •  1996 – The department buys another Ford / MedTec Ambulance
  •  1997 – A Pierce Saber Fire Engine is purchased
  •  1998 – Roger Bjorge was hired as the first paid member of the department. He was hired as a Fire Inspector / Firefighter / EMT
  •  May 1999 – The DeForest Fire & EMS department is recognized for 25 years of EMS service
  •  1999 – There were roughly 800 ambulance calls
  •  2001 – The fire department had 47 active members
  •  2001 – DeForest formed its first Extrication Team which competed in the Great Lakes extrication Competition in June and placed 3rd overall (the department has had an extrication team every year since)
  •  2003 – The fire department acquired a Saulsbury Heavy Rescue HRT Squad
  •  June 2004 – DeForest EMTs participated in the First Annual UW Health EMS Olympics and took home several medals (the department has had a team compete every year since)
  •  2005 – A Custom Fire Pumper / Tanker Engine is purchased
  •  November 12, 2005 – The Extrication Team competes in the National Extrication Competition in Las Vegas, NV
  •  2006 – The fire department upgrades to a International, US Tanker and acquires a Polaris Ranger 6×6 with RKO fire/rescue skid units
  •  2007 – Another International, US tanker is added to the department apparatus
  •  2008 – The Extrication Team participated in the National Extrication Competition in Chili, NY
  •  2008 – The department purchases a Ford / Lifeline Ambulance
  •  June 2009 – The DeForest EMS Olympics team won 1st place Overall for EMT-Basics in the UW Health EMS Olympics hosted in Wisconsin Dells
  •  2010 – The department responded to 168 fire calls, 882 ambulance calls and 87 combination fire/rescue calls
  •  2010 – A Ford / Lifeline Ambulance is acquired
  •  2011- There are 54 active members of the department
  •  February 13, 2011 – The DeForest Area Fire & EMS department marked its 100th year of service
  •  June 2013 – The DeForest EMS Olympics team won 1st place Overall for EMT-Basics in the UW Health EMS Olympics
  •  October 2013 – The Extrication Team traveled to Clearwater Beach, Florida for the World Rescue Challenge. They competed against 32 international extrication teams.